Shadows of Life

"Welcome to my personal space. Please read, enjoy and don't forget to comment - Life is too short to wake up with regrets."

Khari - Salty Puffs

13:37 Posted by Shadows of life

As I mentioned in my last blog, I am foodie and love being one...although its bad when I go over board and I don't watch what & when I am eating...

This post is about Khari, as known in Mumbai, its salty puffs, yummy and great to have with tea coffee.

I used to live in Mumbai, all by myself and I am a lazy but great cook...every now and then I used to cook but being a lazy cook, I used to skip meals. But I loved having chai, tea Indian Style. And because I used to skip meals, chai was my only food sometimes. Slowly slowly time made me realize that only chai can be replaced with chai & some biscuits & cookies etc. I tried these options, but as I don't like sweets...so I was all sad until my wonderful neighbor introduced me to Khari and Rusk. She helped me buy Khari from a mobile ventor who used to visit our building every week. I bough half Kilogram of Khari and tried with my evening tea, OH!!! I loved it I ate half of it in one go. I started buying one kg of Khari from that vendor, and every morning tea and evening tea got replaced with chai & Khari.

I met my husband, my boy friend then, I found out that he dont like chai at all...it hurt me for couple of seconds and then I played a trick, one day when he was very hungry, I made chai for me and told him you can have khari, if not chai...he agreed. he tasted some puffs, well he also loved it. And from that time on, he dont drink chai but he dip his khari in my chai & enjoy its taste.

When I first moved to US, I was all over looking for good Indian stores, I found some. The first thing I bought was some snacks and obviously it had Big pack of Khari. I came home, mid night, I made chai and tried that khari, and it made me cry cos it didn't even tasted 1% closer in comparison to the fresh taste of Mumbai Khari. More than year has passed and I am still looking for fresh khari, for my chai & for my satisfaction.

0 Signature: