Shadows of Life

"Welcome to my personal space. Please read, enjoy and don't forget to comment - Life is too short to wake up with regrets."

Indian Independence Day - More observations

16:10 Posted by Shadows of life

Today is Indian Independence day...I am out of India and its my second year in a row when I am in USA at this wonderful moment of Indian history...Although I remember the way my neighbors used to celebrate Independence day in Delhi and I used to hate the day for its celebrations...for this day to be in my life. And yeah!! I have another association too, I tasted my first alcohol on August 15 some years back...he he what a day to choose when this day is known Holiday and a dry day in India (dry day in India means its illegal to consume alcohol on that specific day) In India this day is a national holiday and it always seems weird to work on August 15...but I am working since 2 years on same day...and I take it just as a weird fleeting feeling.

Oh well, History wise, India got its independence from British in 1947 while it got torn apart in two pieces. One is India aka Hindustan and another is Pak aka Pakistan. Independence was the biggest need in 1947, specially when all those precious beautiful culture and civilization was getting stolen by Englishmen. Hundreds of Thousands of people gave their lives for India, for its freedom, for its culture, its ethnicity, to have own lives, own choices, own voices for own decisions...Yes, Independence was needed in 1947. Today 61 years after we got free, what did we achieve, what have we gained, what are we doing and how are we saving our culture, our civilization and our ethnicity - This question bug me day and night. My final goals of life are going to be the reply to this question, for myself, for my existence, when I will help my country by working towards it, working with it, with my medium of Documentaries and Pictures...ways to go and tons of dreams to achieve...on my way to that point of life...AMEN!!!!


I was born in India and was raised in Punjab, a Northern state of India. I was raised typical Indian & Punjabi way, special ingredients were both the languages (Punjabi & Hindi) my parents spoke and all kind of North Indian food. I just love both special ingredients as a big part of my life. Now when I live out of India I miss these two things the most in my life, languages and food. To save these special ingredient of my life, my existence I fight back with my own self, I speak in Punjabi and Hindi through out with myself when I think and talk to myself. I try to save the love for Indian food by sharing my love with others...and to explore new ways each day, each ways....ways to go!!!

Another thing I noticed when I first move here that many Indians are stuck in the year they left India. This means if a person, who left India to move to USA in 1960s, that person is still living in India of 1960s...he/she is not grown out of those feelings, culture and styles...although he might have grown up in USA the United States way. This has been a big confusion for me cos I think one can easily accept a lot if they wish to accept. The worse are my kind of people who have left country in 21st century, the time when India is more developed, more progressing and more strong economically. The reason is simple cos we are already very independent mind set and we are all open to the new world in different way than those Indian-Americans, who came in 60s-70s. I sometimes wonder why do they get stuck in these kind of fixed feelings. Is it generation gap or is it THE love for their country which don't let them grow out of fixed emotions? Or may be its the insecurity of loosing your own culture in this kind of county? What is it? Why is this making a normal person a weirdo, a strange human? The answers are yet not here but may be I do have them inside me, hidden inside me...some where, where I don't look much, may be in my behavior of observations....I have the deep urge to find them....

Any which way - Happy Independence day to all friends, readers, known, unknown...all!

0 Signature: